Thursday 10 December 2009

The American Scene @ Whitworth Art Gallery, Manchester



I’d never been to Whitworth Art Gallery before so I didn’t really know what to expect. The work that caught my eye was 2 prints by Leonard Baskin. ‘The Hydrogen Man’ which was a disturbing image of a human figure with its flesh ripped off by a hydrogen bomb. Totally anti-war and represented the post-war anxiety beautifully and powerfully from the raw images.

‘Man of Peace’ was the other of his prints I loved, it featured a half naked man caught in barbed wire holding a bird. I was fascinated by the darkness and scale of the prints and the powerful message behind them.


There was also some really interesting wallpaper on display. The ones I found most spectacular were the foil wallpapers with colour screen prints over, very retro. 

No comments:

Post a Comment